Moteo Marae is used for numerous activities and occasions including weddings, birthdays, wānanga, general meetings, church service, cultural experiences, sporting events and tangihanga. Consultation for the use of the marae is very important as the marae is the physical center of the iwi.
Before going to a marae, it is important to understand the kawa (protocol) as they vary from area to area and from tribe to tribe. Click here for guidelines to the powhiri process which may assist with your visit.
We offer half-days, full-day, overnight and weekend Marae hire services with accommodation. Longer periods can be arranged on request.
The options for your marae-style overnight accommodation are as below:
- Single-size mattresses and linen are provided.
- The use of the bathroom and showers.
- Cooking facilities in the kitchen including crockery, cutlery and serving utensils.
- Dining room with a large number of tables and chairs.
- Outdoor open space with car park area.
- Peace and quiet in rural surrounds.
“The marae venue was just awesome. We enjoyed the peace and quiet and there was ample open space for the girls to practice their skills.’’ – Rachel Downs, Manager of NZ Maori Women’s Hockey Team 2015
Marae Cultural Workshops
The Trustees would like to offer you a Marae Experience at Moteo Marae.
We offer workshops to schools, tourists, sports groups, rangatahi groups, educators and offer them for the professional development of adults within the workplace. The number of workshops is dependent on availability of facilitators.
- The history, pepeha and whakapapa of Moteo Marae
- Harakeke or flax weaving and dyeing
- The art of creating and using the poi
- Waiata and Kapa Haka / Song and dance
Our aim is to provide an enlightening Maori experience alongside the history of our marae and by using our tikanga (protocols and practices) that have been handed down by our tipuna (ancestors) and continues today.
School Cultural Experiences
Contact: Administrator Annette Purves Mobile 027 494 1947
Delivery Address: 48 Moteo Marae Road, RD3 Napier 4183, Hawkes Bay, NZ
Postal Address: PO Box 7359 Taradale, Napier 4141, Hawkes Bay, NZ